Nuts

Almonds: Australia still expects positive results

March 30, 2022 4:55 PM, Der AUDITOR
Play report as audio

CANBERRA/SACRAMENTO. The new export season for the Australian almond market started in March, but on paper it is the still 2021/2022 season that is nearing completion.

Will the record crop also bring record exports?

Between March 2021 and January 2022, Australia exported 84,433 mt of almonds, an increase of 14% over the same period last year. Exporters had already surpassed the previous season's total of 76,693 mt a few months ago, so the export volume already set a new record. Major export destinatons such as China (+36% to 34,693 mt) and India (+50% to 16,686 mt) have once again significantly increased their imports of Australian almonds year-on-year in the 2021/2022 season. Shipments to Spain also increased by 58% to 4,910 mt. At the same time, countries such as Germany (-42% to 3,204 mt) and the USA (-78% to 874 mt) significantly reduced their imports from Australia. Australia is expecting another record crop this year, which is why experts are confident that the 2022/2023 season will also show good export results.

Almonds exports, Australia, in mt

Destination

2020/21

2021/22

Diff.

China

25,605

34,693

35.5%

India

11,107

16,686

50.2%

Vietnam

6,617

6,581

-0.5%

Spain

3,102

4,910

58.3%

Germany

5,545

3,204

-42.2%

UAE

2,190

2,653

21.1%

Netherlands

3,862

1,867

-51.7%

New Zealand

2,253

1,790

-20.6%

Turkey

1,525

1,566

2.7%

USA

3,999

874

-78.1%

Others

8,343

9,609

15.2%

Total

74,148

84,433

13.9%

Almond Board of Australia; Mar-Jan

*shelled and inshell

Price reversal after brief increase

In the European spot market, almond prices had briefly soared after news of potential frost damage in the Californian growing areas. Recently, however, there were downward corrections again. Valencias, 12/14 mm, natural are at EUR 4.35/kg FCA Spain, while California, SSR, 23/25, blanched are trading at EUR 5.35/kg FCA Spain.

Almonds

Type

EUR/kg

Valencia, 12/14 mm, natural, Spain

4.35

Valencia, +14 mm, natural, Spain

4.50

California, SSR, 23/25, blanched, USA

5.35

Butte/Padre, SSR, 27/30, natural, USA

4.55

Butte/Padre, SSR, 27/30, blanched, USA

5.20

FCA Spain

View more
price chart, almonds, natural, +14, Valencia
price chart, almonds, natural 13/14, Largueta
price chart, almonds, blanched, 27/30, California SSR
more price charts

Attached Files

File icon
price chart almonds, natural, 12-14 mm, Valencia

View related articles

Go to the News Overview
Nuts
May 25, 2022
ORDU. Over the last few weeks reality has kicked in that sufficient supplies are available, and attention shifted more towards the new crop. At present, the mood is, however, shifting in Turkey’s hazelnut market. Issue are strange dynamics. The market may also have to adjust production estimates for the new crop.
Nuts
May 25, 2022
MADRID/SACRAMENTO. While almond production will range 4% lower in California at 2.80 billion pounds, things are also far from encouraging in Spain. According to the National Nut Board production will range 30% lower than last year. Judging by experience, however, the estimates presented by this organisation tend to be rather conservative.
Nuts
May 23, 2022
NEW DELHI. Although the prices for peanuts have fluctuated in a narrow range in India in recent weeks, traders reckon that this is about to change. Issue are global factors, especially since production is under the weather in Brazil. Recently updated production estimates, however, tell a different story.
Nuts
May 19, 2022
ORDU. Economists reckon that Turkey is witnessing an unprecedented economic crisis of epic proportions. Hazelnut suppliers report the inflation is much worse than official figures suggest, and exporters are dealing on slippery grounds. The production estimates issued at the International Nut and Dried Fruit Congress also illustrate some surprising trends.