Pulses: Turkey increases red lentil exports by 80%

December 1, 2022 at 4:52 PM , Der AUDITOR
Play report as audio

ANKARA. Turkey is one of the leading cultivating countries of pulses such as chickpeas, lentils and dried beans. According to statistics, exports of these products have been significantly lower this year in some cases.

Pulses in comparison

Pulses are grown all over the world. However, growing countries often specialise in two or three varieties. Dried beans and lentils are mainly cultivated in Asia and America, while chickpeas are also found in African countries. Broad beans, however, are mainly produced in Asia, Africa and Europe, while peas are primarily grown in America and Europe.

It is estimated that 77% of the annual production of pulses are intended for the domestic needs of the respective growing country, while the remaining 23% are traded internationally

View related articles

Go to the News Overview
Fruit and Vegetables
May 24, 2023
OTTAWA/NEW DELHI. If the current production estimates for 2023 come true, the global lentil crop would record the second highest yield in history. A tender from India has caused surprise in the market.
May 22, 2023
NEW DELHI/OTTAWA. Traders in both the Indian and Canadian markets report increased buying interest. One problem, however, is the scarce availability. Meanwhile, sowing has started in Canada.
May 15, 2023
NEW DELHI/OTTAWA. In Canada, chickpea stocks are currently the lowest since 2018 - some relief could come from an increase in acreage. India is also experiencing some shortages.
May 8, 2023
NEW DELHI/BRUSSELS. Indian market players are delighted with China's great buying interest, which includes chickpeas as well as other pulses. Meanwhile, EU imports have increased only slightly in terms of volume, while the development of the import value is remarkable.